Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Katie

Though I don't like to wax personal on public space, I admit: these last few weeks have been turbulent. A lot of terrible news, and a lot of great news. My life is pulling together in a big way, and it's awesome and terrifying at the same time.

Katie -- without you, I would have never sang, not have dared try out for Choir or Chambers or All-State. But you believed in me and encouraged me, and somehow they saw the same things you did. I am so grateful to you for making music a big part of my high school career. I'm sorry we lost touch over the years, but it happens right? I know we weren't even super-close in high school...but hey, like many I admired you from a distance. Not just because you were a talented singer, actress, dancer, performer extraordinaire. But you just had it TOGETHER. Everyone loved you. You were great at what you did, but you weren't an asshole about it, and what's more - you inspired people. And for being an actor, I never EVER heard people say you were stuck-up or bitchy or overdramatic. THAT, my friend, takes talent.

And then just looking at your pictures from Facebook, I could tell you lived your college years to their utmost potential. I'm so happy you did.

Well, I don't have too much to say - I didn't have countless inside jokes or childhood memories with ya, not any that I can recall right now. But just know that despite our distance, I still miss you and miss the idea of being able to run into you in Bethesda someday. And you've taught me so much about my own mortality and vulnerability.

So thank you for the memories. Rest in peace, kiddo.

*In my heart's sequestered chambers lie truths stripped of poet's gloss
words alone are vain and vacant, and my heart is mute.
In response to aging silence, memory summons half-heard voices
And my soul finds primal eloquence and wraps me in song, wraps me in song.

If you would comfort me, sing me a lullaby
If you would win my heart, sing me a love song
If you would mourn me and bring me to God, sing me a requiem,
sing me to heaven

Touch in me all love and passion, pain and pleasure
touch in me grief and comfort, love and passion, pain and pleasure...
love me, comfort me, bring me to God,
sing me a love song, sing me to heaven...*

No comments: